St. Paul’s Church History
Founded in 1711, this is the oldest continuing Episcopal Parish in Massachusetts.
Read about the rectors who led our church for the first 200 years– some well loved, and some not!
Take a look at the buildings that have been used by our parish since 1711, when we first gathered at the “Plains” on a site located where now there is the Belleville cemetery across from the K-Mart and Shaw’s supermarket on Storey Ave.
Our first building was called Queen Anne’s Chapel, not to be confused with our current St. Anna’s Chapel which is right along side our current church building. St. Anna’s Chapel was built in 1863 and named in memory of our rector Reverend Horton’s only daughter, Anna, who died in August of 1854.
Thanks to the wonderful research and diligent compilation of our church’s historical pictures and data by our own unofficial historian, Patsy Brown.
(Click here to see photos from the 2008 historical tours.)
More Historical Notes
- Church Tour
- Rectors of St. Paul’s
- Remembering St. Paul’s 300th year – 2011!
- St. Paul’s Churchyard
[catlist name=History orderby=title order=asc numberposts=20 date=yes author=yes]